The purpose of this check list is to make a judgment on the submitted concrete masonry documents for compliance to the plans and specifications. ASTM standards shall be followed as well as any area that would affect the local and state codes.
Note: If the in house Div. 4 specification documents are not up to date, please call the name below for masonry industry up dates:
1. Load-Bearing Units: ASTM C90 latest revision
2. Units shall not exceed 93 pcf density using lightweight aggregates
3. 8x8x16 lightweight masonry unit maximum weight shall be 26Lbs.
4. Lightweight aggregates shall be Expanded Slate meeting ASTM C331 and ASTM C330
5. The use of organic impurities that cause rusting, staining or pop outs and combustible matter shall not be allowed.
The use of coal ash aggregates/bottom ash, cinders or similar waste products shall not be allowed.
6. Submit ACI 216 fire rating calculations
Note: the above list shall be the requirements in Div. 4 master specifications
1. Letter of compliance from the block manufacturer
The letter should state the block manufactured will not use coal by products of cinder
or bottom ash as an aggregate material. (reject the submittal without this note)
2. ASTM C 90 Test Report
Required Information on the report
a. Block test report from independent testing facility
b. Tested date should be within 12 months of project submittal date.
c. Weight classification of the block (lightweight)
d. Density of the block (max. 93 lb/cu ft)
e. Aggregate type (100% lightweight ASTM C331 and ASTM C 330)
f. Fire rating note on the report for 8x8x16 block should be (2hr rating)
3. Lightweight Aggregate Test Report ASTM C331 and ASTM C330
a. Aggregate type per Expanded Slate
b. Max. 12% absorption for lightweight aggregate
4. LEED or Recycled content requirement
a. Type of recycled aggregate
b. Recycled aggregate shall meet ASTM C331 and ASTM C330